Photo credit: Taylor Grote, Unsplash.com
Hello there, Mister Perfect! Happy to talk to you today! How easy is it being so “perfect” all the time? I mean I love it, and yet, how do you do it?
I see you…
Having this great career…
Catching up with your friends after spending long hours in the office…
Running back home in time to please your wife and kids…
Impressing your boss…
And wait, did you call your mom today?
For all of you who feel just a bit tired of being perfect, this one IS for you.
Ready to gamble? How do you feel about taking part in a little contest? Let’s see how you score by entertaining the questions below. (If you have an answer, you score one point, and if not, you score zero).
- What is it that you really want? Not just for your wife, or for your mom, or for the sake of what colleagues or society want or think… what do YOU desire?
- What is taking up most of your time? And are you spending time where you have the most impact?
- What is it that you love the most? How much time are you actually spending doing what you enjoy?
- When was the last time that you felt free? Crazy free? Doing all that you have chosen to do?
- And finally, how happy are you with your life today — in this very moment?
Now, if answering these questions was difficult and your score ranks below five, let me share some of my thoughts:
- Yes, you do help me, and I do need you. But, most of all, I love spending time with you and seeing your smile.
- Yes, you’re sensitive and caring, and you do take care of me. Yet, what I love the most is the way you hold me at night and I feel safe.
- Yes, you do provide money for the family and we’re grateful for this, but to be honest, we love having you home and doing things together — instead of seeing you collapsing on the couch.
- Yes, you’re great in what you do, and to be honest, I don’t care much about you being the greatest at everything… just knowing that you’re doing great is good enough.
- And yes, you’re “Mister Perfect” and yet I love your imperfections the most.
So, you see my dear “Mister Perfect,” you don’t have to be so perfect… you’re already great. Knowing that, what will you choose to do with your life now?
I’d be really happy to hear your thoughts. Share what resonates the most with you or perhaps what you struggle with day-to-day. Guys, comment below and let’s start a conversation!
This post was written in dedication to the Movember Foundation, a charity tackling men’s health on a global scale. While raising funds for Prostate Cancer, Testicular Cancer, and mental health and suicide prevention, the Foundation continues to challenge the status quo and foster innovative research. To learn more, click here.
Also published on Medium.